FOR RELEASE March 28, 2013
Contact: Timothy Stokes
First Transit Customers Receive Recognition for “Green” Transit Initiatives at 2013 NEPTA Conference
FTA honored transit authorities in “Innovative Green Transit Initiative Awards” presentation.
CINCINNATI — At this year’s NorthEast Passenger Transportation Association (NEPTA) conference, eight First Transit customers were recognized by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) for their work in creating and implementing “green” initiatives. These acts were done in an effort by each location to be more environmentally friendly and reduce their environmental footprint throughout their region.
- Greater Hartford Transit District – Operational Initiative Award
- Pioneer Valley RTA – Bus Maintenance Initiative Award
- Franklin RTA – Net Zero Energy Award
- Berkshire RTA – Exclusive use of “green” cleaning solutions
- CTTransit – Demonstrating zero-emission hydrogen fuel cell buses
- Lowell RTA – Installation of solar panels at their bus garage and maintenance facility
- Merrimack Valley RTA – Installation of waste oil-fueled heating
- Worcester RTA – Transit signal priority pilot program
NEPTA serves the passenger transportation community in New England and all other North Eastern States. The organization is a non-profit association of passenger transportation professionals in the public and private sectors. NEPTA works to promote professionalism within the industry through conferences and workshops, disseminate information on issues of interest within the urban and rural passenger transportation communities, promote interchange, networking, cooperation and fellowship among its members and other related organizations, and represent the concerns of its members on issues of federal and regional interest.
About First Transit
First Transit, Inc., part of FirstGroup America, is a leading provider of passenger transportation contract and management services in the United States. In 2008, FirstGroup America was awarded the National Safety Council’s highest award for safety. With more than 51 years of experience, First Transit provides operation, management and consulting for 235 locations in 41 states and Puerto Rico for transit authorities, state departments of transportation, federal agencies, municipal organizations and private companies. For more information, visit www.firsttransit.com or follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/FirstGrpAmerica.