Valley Metro RPTA and First Transit:
Partnering to Provide Efficient Transportation
Valley Metro’s vision is to enable Maricopa County to travel with ease using safe, accessible, efficient, dependable, and integrated public transportation services.
First Transit has delivered on its promises to provide high-quality, efficient and cost-effective transportation solutions, through our use of innovative technology, efficient runcutting solutions, community involvement and sustainability, and our all-encompassing maintenance program.
Under our current combined contract, First Transit operates the RPTA (City of Mesa facility) and City of Tempe fixed route bus operations and maintenance services on behalf of Valley Metro. Our operations focus on creating outstanding value for those we serve through shared vision, superior services and sustainable practices. Under this combined service, our partnership with the RPTA enhances the quality of the transportation system and the value provided to our shared customers.
We build on this foundation by:
- Cost Savings via DriveCam, runcutting, reallocated vehicle parking, and purchasing agreements
- Innovative technology with TransLōc and mobile ticketing
- Labor Relations with the Amalgamated Transit Union and Operating Engineers
- An established Passenger-Community engagement plan reaching multiple communities and groups
- ASE Blue Seal shops for fleet Maintenance Excellence
- Successful approach to Safe and Drug-Free environments, hiring qualified, reliable staff
First Transit moved almost 100 pieces of equipment from the Mesa to the Tempe facility to save hundreds of miles in deadhead. By reallocating equipment between these two facilities, we not only reduced deadhead, but reduced overall bus mileage, lost revenue time, and emissions. This efficiency could not have been achieved without the system consolidation.